We are pleased to announce that Zac Hicks’ setting of Psalm 100, “All People That on Earth Do Dwell,” has won the Church of the Servant 2010 New Psalm Contest. Read more.
In an effort to encourage Psalm-singing, Church of the Servant invites congregational songwriters to submit a Psalm-based song to its 2010 New Psalm Contest. The winner will receive a $250 award. There is no entry fee and the contest is open to all. Submissions must be emailed or postmarked by October 1, 2010. The song will be premiered in worship on January 30, 2011. Church of the Servant is a Christian Reformed Church with a rich history of encouraging the arts in worship. Its worship is Reformed, liturgical, participatory, eclectic, and open to creative new worship expressions.
This contest is made possible by a generous donation in memory of Ben Fackler, who loved all things musical.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
- A congregational song based on a Psalm or a significant portion of a Psalm.
- Any musical style or lyrical form.
- Settings may include cantor, choir, readers, and instrumentalists, as long as the congregation is given a significant role. Available musicians include piano (no organ), choir, cantors/vocal soloists, a variety of advanced instrumentalists, string ensemble, Joyful Noise Orchestra (small orchestra), Guitarchestra (folk ensemble of guitars, fiddle, accordion, etc), and hand percussion; More information about the church’s worship can be found at https://www.churchoftheservantcrc.org/ministries/worship.
- Under-represented Psalms and settings that include Psalm 73:26 are especially welcome.
- Texts without music will be considered; text-only submissions should include tune suggestions.
- Submissions may be emailed as PDF attachments to email@example.com or mailed to New Psalm Contest, Church of the Servant, 3835 Burton St SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546.
- Do not print your name or identifying marks on the music itself. Instead, include all contact info in the body of the email or in a cover letter.
- No more than two submissions per person.
- The contest is open to everyone (except the judges).
- Only unpublished songs that have received no awards may be submitted.
- If a submission is co-authored or uses copyrighted material, proof of permission must be included.
- Submissions will not be returned. Please do not send original copies.
- All submissions must be emailed or postmarked by October 1, 2010.
- Submissions will be judged on their quality and usability at Church of the Servant.
- $250 will be awarded the winner. Judges have the right to award no winner or divide the award money as they see fit.
- Contest results will be made public by November 31, 2010.
- Premiere will take place in worship at Church of the Servant on January 30, 2011. The winning composer is welcome to attend, but travel funds are not available.
- Composer retains all rights to the song and is encouraged to seek publication.
- All future dissemination of the song will include the phrase “Winner of the Church of the Servant 2010 New Psalm Contest, in memory of Ben Fackler.”
- Winner grants Church of the Servant the right to use the song in its worship and publicize his/her name.
(A printable PDF document of these contest guidelines is also available.) Questions should be directed to Greg Scheer (firstname.lastname@example.org; 616-956-7611).