Pentecost Season, Week of Sunday, July 12, 2020
On Sunday, July 12, we will continue to worship in homes, individually, but still as one body as we seek to be prisms of God’s light in liturgy and in life. This week Pastor Andrew Mead will bring us a message based on the scriptures of Genesis 25:19-34 and Romans 8:1-11 titled “The Struggle Within”. Each week we will add a new post that includes a house church liturgy, messages from the pastors, resources for leaders, and media to accompany worship. Resources, videos, and liturgies can be found on the Church of the Servant website at coscrc.org/category/housechurch
If you haven’t found a way to help celebrate our 13 high school seniors IT’S NOT TOO LATE! You still have 1 day to:
- Send money to COS designated for “HS Grad Gift.” This money will be used to purchase gift cards for each of our grads to help them get items they need for the next phase of their lives. Any amount will help! You can make checks out to Church of the Servant with “HS Grad Gift” in the memo line, or make a donation online to COS by going to the “Giving” section of our website. Be sure to click on the box indicating the donation is for the HS Grad Gift.
- Send notes to our graduates that will be placed in their Bibles from COS. Notes can be mailed or emailed to me and I will place them in their Bibles. (Annette Ediger, 6244 New Holland St., Hudsonville, MI 49426 or Annette.firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deadline: July 12 We will be holding an event to celebrate our Seniors the week of July 19—so please send notes and/or money by July 12!
COS Children’s Ministry Facebook Group. Did you know we have a new COS Facebook for families with kids ages 0-6th grade!?! If not, please join! You’ll find it here. This is a closed group, so only those who join the group can read the posts or see the videos or pictures posted within. I often post the weekly Bible story and midweek storybook video to this group and ideas for engaging these stories for the rest of the week. It’s a great way to interact and connect!
Weekly Email: Parents or grandparents, please email me at Jo.Howe@coscrc.org if you aren’t receiving a weekly email Children’s Ministry email. The email goes out on Saturday or Sunday with information about the stories for the week and anything else that’s happening for kids.
Worship Survey: There is still time to take the worship survey (you can find it here) to let church leaders know how Zoom worship is going for your family and what your hopes are for the future of worshipping together. We need lots of input from parents with young children to plan for a successful transition back to in-person worship and programming. You are always welcome to call or email me with input at 616-238-1324 cell or Jo.Howe@coscrc.org!
From the COS COVID-19 Response Team, July 10. The COS COVID-19 Response Team advises that COS continue Zoom worship services and other virtual meetings for the foreseeable future, even as some staff members are utilizing their offices with many safety precautions in place. The staff and Worship team are considering some small outside gatherings on Sunday evenings in August. However, this could change depending on how much of a threat COVID-19 presents, and what state and federal guidelines allow. As of July 4 the risk factors in the Grand Rapids region are considered “high” after 3 weeks of increased cases. You can get regular updates and more detailed information on the COS website at https://www.churchoftheservantcrc.org/healthandsafety/ or contact any one of us.
Elders Eric Kort, Rhonda Mejeur, Nancy Pranger, and Deacons Paul Harper, Carol Rienstra, Stacy Steen.
Financial Update – Last week’s offering and online giving includes July 10 monthly ACH): $32,354.90
Total Giving for the month of July (est): $32,354.90 (3 Sundays left)
Our monthly General Fund budget is $119,028.
Facilities Coordinator: Church of the Servant is looking to hire a full time (36 hrs /week) person to join our staff team and be responsible for our building’s operation and maintenance needs. Strong Facility Management experience preferred. Start date: August 17, 2020.
Dark Times: Deep Grace Join us on Facebook live in the COS Facebook group each Wednesday at 8.30 pm as we read psalms of lament and pray in creative ways together. The time together includes songs, art, and words of lament as we navigate these difficult times with a sense of deep grace. This week’s artist is Jan Carpenter.
The COS Prisoners in Christ (PinC) and Antiracism and Reconciliation (ARRT) teams invite you to join a congregation-wide effort to pray regularly and learn more about racial injustice. A cart with resources from the COS Anti-racism library will be located just outside the main doors of the church weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please stop by and borrow a book or DVD. If you have questions, contact Jolanda Howe, a member of the COS Anti-racism and Reconciliation Team, at (616) 238-1324.
A Congregational Email was sent out on July 10th containing more detailed information on the following items:
- The draft 2020-2021 budget is available for your review online.
- In the next week you will have the chance to review our slate of nominees to council along with their brief biographical sketches.
- On July 19 there will be an information meeting via Zoom following the worship service where you will have the opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback on the budget.
- On July 26 there will be a congregational meeting via Zoom following the worship service to vote on nominees for council, the budget and COS Bylaws. Opportunity will also be provided to submit absentee ballots.