What we are doing:
During Lent, we invite you into a conversation to probe the question: What does the Christian life look like together? We will be doing this by reading Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s classic book: Life Together.
Why are we doing it:
The past couple of years have severely disrupted Christian unity and Christian community. We’ve seen Massive deconstruction around congregational life, leaving the question: Is it possible to model a community that is Christ-centered and truly exists to love our neighbor? Is the church a place where we simply come to worship and be fed to go and live discrete lives of service, or can we bear witness to a greater purpose as a Christian community?
We don’t pretend to have the answers. Instead, we invite you to journey with us as we examine the nature, purpose, and principles of what a Christian community might look like.
How it will work:
- Each Sunday during Lent (beginning March 6), the sermon topic will align with the week’s chapter from Bonhoeffer’s Life Together.
- Immediately after the Sunday morning services will be a GPS session where a panel will discuss the chapter in more detail.
- We hope you will study the book in your household or sign up to join a discussion group.
- Many of the book discussions will take place in church on a Wednesday night (beginning March 9) where we will come together to have a brief time of gathered worship (6-6.30pm) then break off into small groups and childrens’ activities (6.30-7.30pm) up to 8th grade.
- Nursery will be available
- Coffee and cookies will be served
- Feel free to email Ben Videtich to let him know you’re coming, or simply show up and join a discussion group
If you are interested here’s what to do next:
- Either dust off your copy of Life Together and start reading! Alternatively, we will have a bookstall this Sunday where you can pick up your copy at the cost of $10. As you take your book please leave your name and contact information. In order to track payments more accurately you can pay either using the church Venmo or writing a check (Venmo @churchoftheservant and make the subject Lent Books).
- Please follow the schedule on this website for the chapters that will be studied weekly
- Sign up for a small group discussion by contacting Ben Videtich
- If you have children and want to attend a small group on Wednesday nights let Jo Howe know so she can plan children’s activities accordingly.
- We could also use more volunteers to help with Wednesday night children’s activities. Please contact Jo Howe.
Studying Life Together as a household or book club?
Here are some study guides for each chapter (chapter 5 coming soon):
We know there is tremendous beauty, healing, and restoration that can happen simply by living life together so may it be our collective prayer:
‘Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for people to dwell together in unity’ Psalm 133:1